Gov. Palin and her husband were obsessed with [Palin's ex-brother-in-law, State Trooper] Wooten the way Capt. Ahab was obsessed with the Great White Whale. No Wooten, no peace.Sunday night on my plane ride home from NYC, there was something wrong with the Virgin America seat-back TV, to where I could not watch The Real Housewives of New York City marathon. This was very disappointing, because Ramona is kind of hot and kind of reminds me of a cross between a middle-aged Kathy Lee Gifford, a skittish deer in the woods, and Britney Spears' mom, the White Oprah. It turned out alright though because I used the time to read the Esquire Big Black Book of $3,000 briefcases that you would be an imbecile to not buy immediately. {I just checked and the watch I wanted in there - The U-Boat - is $3,850. I haven't worn a watch since about 2004.} I also watched the TED talks of Brian Cox (the Large Hadron Collider) and Paul Stamets (6 ways mushrooms can save the earth), which were extremely fascinating. I started watching Amy Tan's TED talk, but had to quit when she said
And so I'm going to use, as the metaphor, this association -- quantum mechanics, which I really don't understand, but I'm still gonna use it as the process for explaining how it is the metaphor. So, in quantum mechanics, of course, you have dark energy and dark matter. And it's the same thing in looking at these questions of how things happen. There's a lot of unknown, and you often don't know what it is except by its absence.
(photo of four rubber ducks, arrow associating them with Warhol-esque 4 panel portrait of Tan- "the metaphorical universe: synenergy (sic) and what matters")
because this is just really dumb. Look, I don't understand quantum mechanics either, but the THING of using the fact that it is weird and hard to understand to try to bolster and justify any kind of ridiculous, anti-scientific New Age mumbo jumbo is one of the most annoying things going in the modern world of ideas. (See e.g. Oprah favorite Gary Zukov's The Dancing Wu Li Masters - A Bantam New Age Book - from 1979. Oprah loves mumbo jumbo.)
I also watched an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from whatever season is happening or just happened. The downside was that I found out a major plot twist that happens between the last episode I had seen (season 4?) and now, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money. One of the jokes was that Larry was depressed, and one of his friends was telling his manager that he was like Mopey Dick. Moby Dick? The whale in the Melville book? No, Mopey Dick, like he's depressed and he needs to get laid.
Instead, I got an amazing fruit danish at La new Boulange de Polk, and picked up a New York Times, the new National Geographic, and the New Yorker. As my friends all know and preemptively cringe at, I'll probably be a little obsessed with New York City for a couple of months, followed by at least five years of fond memories and vague travel plans. What a great town.
The New Yorker has a lot of good stuff in it, but (at left) was the only Moby-Dick related thing I saw on my first perusal. "Day 247, still no fingers."
-Hip E., p.399
1 comment:
I just found out what this is called -- the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baader-Meinhoff_Phenomenon
Strangely, I thought it was so weird to come across this blog post right after learning that.
Post a Comment