Sunday, August 24, 2008

I'm on Chapter 16. Or 15. I Can't Remember.

Johnny D, please explain this quote from chapter 2: "Euroclydon! says old Dives, in his red silken wrapper-(he had a redder one afterwards) pooh, pooh!"

Chapter 3-Ishmael-homophobe much? I loved this line though: "No man prefers to sleep two in a bed". Thanks Ishamael
It was also pretty entertaining to see him go from homophobe, to a little curious, to full on sheep cowboy (not that there's anything wrong with that). It reminded me of an email Hip E sent me about him and Shark once. Anyway, with these thoughts I kept laughing out loud at such passages as "At first he little noticed these advances; but presently, upon my referring to his last night's hospitalities, he made out to ask me whether we were again to be bedfellows. I told him yes; whereat I thought he looked please, perhaps a little complimented." Get some.


Chapter 7-I really hate the word "methinks".

Chapter 13-I liked the analogy about the wheelbarrow and the ship captain.

Chapter 15-This chapter made me really want some clam chowder.

4 comments:

Stickler said...

I can't wait to read chapter 15 because I really like Clam Chowder.

By the way Turd, I'm by no means a scholar like Johnny D. but I am of the belief that Ishmael would be talking about the bum on the street who has wrapped himself in a thin red blanket and is cursing the wind that is making him cold...

Anyone disagree with this?

Shanny said...

I am on Chapter 32, bitches.

Sosia said...

I'm not Johnny D, but for this line "Euroclydon! says old Dives, in his red silken wrapper-(he had a redder one afterwards) pooh, pooh!"

My book says: Euroclydon: name given to the northeast wind that shipwrecks st.paul in Acts 27:14

Lazarus and Dives: In Luke 6:19-6:31 Lazarus is a beggar who is saved, while Dives is a rich man who is damned.

Hip E. said...

from Longman Critical Edition:

In Luke 16:19-23, the homeless and sore-ridden Lazarus lies at the gates of a scornful rich man (elsewhere called Dives) begging for crumbs. When both die, Lazarus goes to heaven, and Dives burns in hell, begging Lazarus to send him water. Ishmael elaborates on the inequality of rich and poor by comparing the differences we feel between a tight window that keeps the warmth inside and a sashless or ill-framed window that lets the frost come through. He the compares this difference to the living Lazarus and Dives, the one chattering out in the cold, the other enjoying "a fine frosty night" from inside his summery room. But Melville's religiously and politically sensitive British editor expurgated all reference to the parable. He removed the last three paragraphs entirely as well as three sentences toward the end of what became the chapter's final paragraph. This latter excision inadvertently reassigns Dives's jolly words ("What a fine frosty night … making my own summer with my own coals") to Ishmael, thus making Ishmael conclude his previously compassionate reflections by incongruously voicing Dives's privileged point of view. In addition, the editor revised Melville's "poor Paul" at the beginning of the paragraph to "St. Paul."